Shin pain is generally associated with running based activities characterised by pain in the front of the lower leg. A sudden increase in intensity duration or frequency will attribute to onset or exacerbation.
Risk factors include:
- poor lower limb biomechanics.
- Issues with muscle flexibility and joint mobility.
- Inadequate hydration and nutrition.
- Poor training methods and techniques.
- Inadequate equipment.
- Hard training surfaces.
- Poorly designed and or fitting footwear.
It is suggested that prevention may best be achieved through a bio-mechanical and musculo-skeletal screening process to identify any potential problems at an early stage.