The plantar fascia is a strong connective tissue structure supporting the arch of the foot. It is important in supporting the foot structures in push off phase of running and walking activities. It is characterised by local pain and tenderness in the heel. The risk factors for injury include high impact sports.
- Flat or exaggerated high arches.
- Middle age or older.
- Poorly fitting or designed footwear.
Prevention strategies for plantar fasciopathy.
- Maintain a healthy weight and sound cardio fitness.
- Adequate nutrition and hydration.
- Wear good arch supporting footwear with cushioning and a moderate heel.