Hip bursitis is a painful condition involving swelling of the naturally occurring fluid filled sac called the bursa on the outside of the hip. This structures prime function is to cushion the tendons against the bone. This condition may be either acute (short lived) or chronic. The pain localised to the outside of the hip is exacerbated by movement- eg. Getting in/out of bed or chair.
Management and preventative strategies include:
- avoiding or minimising those aggravating activities.
- Building strength and flexibility around the hip joint. And in the spinal area.
- Adequate management of weight.
- Remain well nourished and hydrated.
- Wear suitable cushioning and supportive footwear.
- Assess and treat any significant leg length discrepancy.
- Always follow the advice of your health care professional.