The hamstrings are a group of muscles at the back of the thigh and in sport is one of the most commonly injured structures- particularly in activities requiring speed, power and agility. These injuries may be graded up to three in severity. The cause is believed to be related to a strength imbalance between the quadriceps and hamstrings.
- Injury prevention strategies include:
- adequate warn up and cool down routines.
- A graduated training regime with built in recovery periods.
- high level of cardio fitness.
- Use of supportive taping and protective equipment.
- Sound nutrition and hydration.